Saturday 1 September 2012

Swimmer Haircare Guide!

Howdy readers! How are you on this glorious day? Swimming is one of my favourite sports. I have been swimming since I was about 2 or 3 years old, and have loved it ever since. That wonderful feeling of swimming in the water and pushing myself to complete as many laps in the pool as I can manage, and training to complete new dives, still gives me an adrenaline rush. As a matter of fact, I feel like taking a little swim! Spending many hours in the pool can make your hair and skin feel a little dry and dull. As a life-long swimming enthusiast, I can let you in on a few things I have learned in order to keep my skin and hair, healthy and happy.




Tip #1: Use conditioner or hair oil in your hair, prior to taking a dip in the pool.

 The chlorine and other chemicals used to keep the pool in great condition, can make your hair feel like straw. I remember I skipped using conditioner in my hair when I was young, while I was on vacation, and my parents spent a good hour attempting to detangle it. Ouch. That should be a good enough example for why you should condition your hair well. Saturate your hair with conditioner from the roots all the way to the ends, and tie it back. I find that plaiting your hair works nicely, and keeps your hair manageable and smooth.


Tip #2: Avoid using regular shampoo and conditioner to remove chlorine buildup.

Regular shampoo is only designed to strip the hair of oils, effectively "cleansing" the hair. It usually not designed with the task of removing chlorine buildup. L'Oreal makes an amazing swimming shampoo, under their L'Oreal Kids line. It smells like oranges ( in case you were wondering), and does a great job at cleaning my hair. I recommend this product to anybody looking for a great swim shampoo. There are tons of great ones out there, but this one is easier to find for people. Try: L'Oreal Kids 2-in-1 Swim & Sport Shampoo (drugstores)

L’OrĂ©al Kids 2-in-1 Swim & Sport Shampoo



Tip #3: Buy a swimcap.

This tip seems a bit more practical, but a lot of people want to avoid looking to serious. A swimcap is good for anyone who wants to minimize hair damage, and the amount of drag while competing. Why not give it a try?

Tip #4: Please avoid baking soda as a replacement for shampoo.

Many people think that plain ol' baking soda is good enough for washing hair. They believe that it better to use natural alternatives for washing hair, but really, you are hurting your hair. Baking soda, used alone, has a pH of around 9. The pH of purified water is a 7. Now, if you as me, that is a big jump. Some shampoos might be only a 7.5-8, but think, every number is an increase of ten-fold on the pH scale. Just stick to the shampoos designed for removing chlorine buildup. Baking soda can damage your hair and cause tons of frizz.
 


I hope these tips came in handy, for all you occasional and sesoned swimmers out there. Look out for the next post, which is out in a few days. See you in a few days. Thank you for reading.


Happy Swimming



^_^









No comments:

Post a Comment